Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Prayer for Our Nation


Psalm 2
Why do the nations conspire and the peoples plot in vain? The kings of the earth rise up and the rulers band together against the Lord and against his anointed, saying, “Let us break their chains and throw off their shackles.” The One enthroned in heaven laughs; the Lord scoffs at them. He rebukes them in his anger and terrifies them in his wrath, saying, “I have installed my king on Zion, my holy mountain.  ”I will proclaim the Lord’s decree: He said to me, “You are my son; today I have become your father. Ask me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. You will break them with a rod of iron; you will dash them to pieces like pottery. ” Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling. Kiss his son, or he will be angry and your way will lead to your destruction, for his wrath can flare up in a moment. Blessed are all who take refuge in him.

Happy 4th of July!!!

I hope you are having a great holiday. I am catching up on some much needed rest, while praying for our nation. On this holiday, celebrating the birth of our nation, I would like to take the time to pray for our leaders. Normally, I pray Psalm 1 over our leaders, or soon to be leaders (after all it is an election year, which was ever so obvious in the parade I attended this morning, politician after politician was riding in the parade seeking votes.) Anyways, this week, the Lord led me to this scripture. It can be a bit of a scary scripture, as you can see today, our leaders do not have the fear of the Lord.

So, here is my prayer:

 Lord, forgive our leaders of our nation. They have spoken against you, and have not had the fear of the Lord. They do not acknowledge your son, or lead the nation according to your righteous ways. Instead, they promote the ways of evil, by promoting the murder of millions of babies. They promote sexual immorality, and turmoil. Oh Lord, forgive them, for they know not what they do. They do not understand your holiness, or your power, for if they did, they would fear you. Lord, have mercy on our nation. Will you destroy our nation, when there are righteous people residing here? Lord, let the righteous arise; let them stand for your holy truth. Lord let us take refuge in You, for you are the only way. We love You, Lord. We praise you Lord. We want nothing more, than to live according to your ways, according to your truth. Open our eyes to your righteousness, that we may be holy and acceptable to you. I pray that on the day of your judgment, we may be found holy, blameless, and spotless. Cleanse us from our unrighteousness. Fill us with the boldness of your spirit, which we can lead the way of the righteous. May our ways glorify You. You alone, Lord, are worthy of all praise and glory. We love you, Lord, and it is in your name that we pray this prayer. Amen.

Let us cry out to the Lord, that He may have mercy on our nation during this dark hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment