Thursday, December 6, 2012

The Hope of Christmas

Luke 2:8-15 
And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.” When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

Hello my Beloved,

I hope you are having a blessed week. I am busy trying to prepare for Christmas. I came down with a sinus infection, which interfered with my holiday preparations, perhaps it was just the Lord telling me to slow down and rest, nonetheless, I am feeling much better, and heading full force with my Christmas preparations. I have always loved Christmas time, the lights, the decorations, the music. It all is so delightful. When I was a child, we always had an advent candle wreath to count down to Christmas Day. I grew up in the Methodist Church, and this was a big thing in our church as well. We would sing this song:
Light the Advent Candle one
Now the waiting has begun
We have started on our way
Time to think of Christmas Day

Candle, candle, burning bright
Shining in the cold winter night
Candle, candle, burning bright
Fill our hearts with Christmas Light


Since I no longer have an advent candle wreath, the tradition has faded, but it doesn't mean that it needs to stop. I thought I would include it in my weekly devotions. What a great way to focus our attention on the true meaning of Christmas, Christ. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the lights, the decorations, the music, and the parties, but there is so much more to Christmas. The first candle represents Hope. If you think about it, Christ was sent into the world for salvation, our Hope. If you think about the time when he came, the Israelites were in the need for a savior. They were under the Roman empire, Cesar was ruling, and Herod was the local ruler over the Israelites. It was an oppressive time, and they anxiously awaited the promised savior. Who would have thought that this savior would come in the form of a babe. I love what the angels told the shepherds, "Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”  The shepherds were anxious to meet the messiah. They understood the times, and the need for a savior. Our world is not much different. There are so many that are lost and hurting, even Christians are in need and hurting, we are all in need of a savior, the Hope of Jesus' return. Jesus will return, we need to hold on to the Hope of His return. For once He returns, we will no longer have any suffering or pain. We, as believers, can hold on to His promise:

Revelation 21: 3-4
And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” 

This promise is only for God's children. Let us give this hope to a lost and dying world, a world full of pain, suffering, and hurt. The best part about this promise, is that God will dwell right there with us. How awesome is that! I love being in the Lord's presence, when it is so intense, you can feel it. Just think to be in that kind of presence, even stronger, daily. Seek to be in the Lord's presence, for in His presence, you don't feel the pain, only sweet peace.

Until next time, rest in His sweet, peaceful presence!
Christina



No comments:

Post a Comment